Monday, December 29, 2008

Finding Wisdom in Marriage

It has been one month today since I tied the knot so to speak and entered into one of the most wonderfully challenging stages of life. In the past month I have a learned a few things that I would like to share, realizing that one month makes me no more than a beginner and no more excused from learning a ton. So here are the top ten:

1. Wow, and I thought toddlers were selfish. I had no idea how much self I needed to die to, marriage has a way of showing how truly selfish I am.

2. Morning breath is terrible and I am not talking about his. I never thought I had it, but there is something about waking up to someone in the morning that makes you frighteningly aware of the foul odor escaping your own mouth.

3. The Team. I did not realize how extraordinary it would be to always have someone by your side living practically every moment with you. Praying, Worshiping, Going into battle, Eating, and Laughing will never be the same again.

4. Guys are so strange. Not only do they have some of the funniest looking feet I have ever seen but I really do think they are from a different planet. What fun, I feel like I am learning a new culture every day.

5. Communication, Communication, Communication. I cannot take credit for this lesson, but I want to thank all of you who taught me this before we were married. I had no idea two people would need to talk so much. I love it!

6. Compromise. I thought I understood the definition of this word, but now I realize that I was overly confident. The truth is that I have had to give in on a more things in the last month than has been required of me in my entire life.

7. Husband. I have to admit that I still can not recognize my own voice as it introduces Tucker as my husband to friends and family, such a great yet big change.

8. Love. I have been amazed to discover how much love can change in such a short time. I am positive that I have just begun to brush the surface of loving Tucker as I have been called to love him.

9. Cooking. How do you know what to cook? I have been blessed to be in our parents' homes for the last few weeks, but in the number of days I spent cooking I have run out of new meal ideas. I feel like everything I ate as a child has been forgotten. Hopefully, this is one of those super powers you get as you spend more years in marriage, the power to create delicious meals out of nothing.

10. Learning what unity really means. I am so excited to unite more with Tuck in every aspect of my life. God's design takes my breath away. I can only imagine what the future years will bring. Who knows, maybe we will become one of those couples that can finish each others sentences and yet I know it is so much more.

Thank you all for your love and support of Tuck and I.

2 comments:

Heather McCullough said...

Awesome post!
Love you guys and can't wait to see you soon!

Linda said...

Sweet Pam, as you learn to live and love in your new marriage with the guidance of the Word, I know your revelations will continue! Full of love, humor and insight.
Love you tons. mom